Re: Database objects and internal connections?

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:34:07 +0000

is oracle breaking your connection with a policy or is it being done by the operating system? ora-3113 usually occurs when the OS times you out. its possible that the OS cut off your connect and your session completed. do an sql_trace to a file, to see what happens. you can do a sqlnet trace on the client to see what happens with your connection. when i time out due to an oracle profile i typically get:

ERROR:
ORA-02396: exceeded maximum idle time, please connect again

rest is inline

> So, that leads me to believe that oracle creates an internal connection to
> itself to deal with the objects.
>
> 1) Can anyone confirm that?

dunno, but doubt it. you could just be losing your connection and then the database sessions stays attached. you can test this by tracing your session to a file and seeing what happens.

you can determine if its oracle cutting you off by checking dba_users.profile to get your profile, then finding out your time limits.
> 2) Can it's timeout setting be different from other "normal" connections?
dont think this is what is going on. I think its the OS timing you out.
> 3) Any security implications in setting it higher?
just means you have more time to be connected. sounds like its your OS timing you out. so its up to your sys admins.