Database objects and internal connections?

From: david wendelken <davewendelken_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:18:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Awhile back, I wrote to ask how to get data from a pl/sql tables (arrays) into a ref cursor so my coldfusion web environment could access its contents.

I got advice to use oracle database objects for that task instead of pl/sql tables. I did it, cursed the syntax until I got it right, and all seemed well.

Then I started running the routine repeatedly inside a loop.

I got "funny behavior" that I didn't see when I ran it in one-off mode. I know my pl/sql pretty well and I don't believe that I've got an initialization corruption of any sort.

I started forcing the routine to write its output to a datatable no matter what,and including the contents of sqlerrm where appropriate.

In one run, I got over 200 records created telling me that I had an ora-3113 end-of-file on communication channel error. I'm in a secure environment that times out quickly. But if my session had timed out, it couldn't have written 200 records to itself saying that, could it!

So, that leads me to believe that oracle creates an internal connection to itself to deal with the objects.

  1. Can anyone confirm that?
  2. Can it's timeout setting be different from other "normal" connections?
  3. Any security implications in setting it higher?