Re: dbsnmp and oraInventory - Advice !

From: Stephen Evans <evans036_at_mc.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:30:09 -0400

have you considered placing you oracle inventory INSIDE an oracle home? i dont know if its possible, but we have toyed with the idea so that we can more easily distribute pre-installed oracle homes to other machines.

i would presume you would just set ORACLE_BASE to some dir within the home

thoughts anyone?

thanks,

steve

"Prem Khanna J" <premj_at_rediffmail.com>
09/30/2004 04:24 AM
Please respond to premj

        To:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
        cc:
        Subject:        dbsnmp and oraInventory - Advice !

Hi all,

The ENV is oracle 9.2.0.4 / Aix5.2L.

we would like to have different oracle inventory
(in /etc) for different oracle homes.The reason for
doing this is : one instance is not affected by another instance , if there happens to a problem with the inventory. Other than maintaining multiple  inventory , is there a better solution for this ?
(In my case, the number of inventory will not be more than 2)

But, we want to use DBSNMP also. This by default reads  /etc/oratab to get the list of oracle homes . How do make it  read my oratab (say /etc/new/oratab) also ?

All i want is : dbsnmp should discover all my instances ! This is where i'm stuck .

Can someone guide me ? Any suggestions please ?!

Regards,
Prem.