Re: Contention for undo segments

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:51:05 +0530

Tim,

I don't know what application you are running , but buffer busy global CR can happen for many reasons. I suspect some sort of enqueue contention (TX?) or some serialization or hotspots in the objects and that is causing the problem. DO you have the statspack during that time.

You can use the following script to identify the system calls which are responsible for buffer busy events. This will give the sample out put like this..

 1 SELECT WH.KCBWHDES MODULE,SW.WHY0 CALLS,SW.WHY2 WAITS,  2 SW.OTHER_WAIT "CAUSED WAITS"
 3 FROM x$kcbwh WH, x$kcbsw SW
 4 WHERE WH.indx = SW.indx
 5 AND SW.OTHER_WAIT > 0
 6* ORDER BY SW.OTHER_WAIT
SQL> /

MODULE                  CALLS      WAITS CAUSED WAITS
------------------ ---------- ---------- ------------
ktswh72: ktsbget         2088          0            1
ktswh76: ktsxadd        34682          0            1
ktspfwh8: ktspScan        327          0            1
Init1
kdiwh08: kdiixs       3030936          0            1
ktewh25: kteinicnt     285908          0            1
ktbwh00: ktbgtl           491          0            2
ktspswh6: ktspInit        327          0            2
Scan

I have a brief discussion about GC waits and the internals in Chapter-8 of OWI book. Just have a loook if you have the book handy.

--

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan