Re: artificial values vs null

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:42:54 +0100

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:24:50 +1000, Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_bizmail.com.au> wrote:
> I still think that a high value is not
> "messing" with Oracle's perception of even
> data distribution. Quite frankly, in this case
> I reckon it's wishful thinking of Oracle to
> assume the distribution is even to start with.

yes I think it is messing with the way Oracle perceives data distribution. I agree with the comment about wishful thinking - but that is the way Oracle (currently) works. ISTM that dynamic sampling *may* indicate that Oracle are aware that making assumptions about data distribution is, or can be, unfortunate. 12e will possibly assign stats gathering to some automated task and we'll have less reason to worry about these things. Maybe.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA