Re: hyperthreading

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:24:22 -0400

sure.
when I'm running something that will have more than 2 threads like loads, I'll glance at top.
If you read dmesg, you'll see that the runqueues of the logical cpus are mapped the physical ones. In a dual CPU system, CPUs 0 and 2 (physical) are typically busy and CPUs 1 and 3 are typically idle.

gzipping 4 files in parallel would probably be a good way to compare.

I haven't been ambitious enough to produce any benchmarks on it, as that box only had a 4 drive RAID 0 volume. After it gets an external storage unit attached, I'll think about checking out benchmarks - when IO wait doesn't dominate.

Paul