RE: Unused column names

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:16:47 -0400

Me either.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

-----Original Message-----

From: Powell, Mark D [mailto:mark.powell_at_eds.com] Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 11:56 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Unused column names

The dba_tab_columns.hidden_column entry appears to be a 10g addition. I do not see this column on my 9.2.0.4 or .5 systems. It is documented in the 10g Reference manual entry for the view all_tab_columns.

From: Katz.C_at_forces.gc.ca [mailto:Katz.C_at_forces.gc.ca] Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 10:27 AM To: lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Unused column names

Lex,
You've answered my question. To answer yours: we had an import that failed with an "imp-00020 long column too large for column buffer error". The export had no long columns but there was a note on metalink that pointed to unused columns (and directmode export) as a possible explanation. Sure enough the database that provided the export file had a table with unused columns.
We're a distributed environment with more than a couple of sites. Only one site has the unused columns. That triggered the dilbert syndrome which resulted in my question to the list... chaim http://www.learntorah.net