RE: 9i poll on spfile feature

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:54:20 +1000

Rick

Someone else has already mentioned the ALTER SYSTEM command.  If you still =
want the init.ora hanging around as a backup or something, you can simply u=
se the CREATE PFILE command once you've changed the SPFILE with an ALTER SY=
STEM command to give you the complete picture.
IIRC, you need an SPFILE for the dynamic SGA stuff to work correctly, so Ru=
th's more conservative "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach also disab=
les some of the ease of management functionality as a side effect.  This ca=
n be particularly problematic in a 24x7 shop, where you don't have the opti=
on to bounce the database to reflect init.ora changes.

HTH.
=

Pete
=

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
=

"Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

From: Spears, Brian [mailto:BSpears_at_Limitedbrands.com] Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 9:17 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: 9i poll on spfile feature

 Just wanted to see what people have resorted to using in real world practice with the spfile.

 With 9i, are you still using the init file or have you migrated to using the spfile ?

If still using the Init file.. What is the main reason for continuing to using the init file.

Brian