Effect of adding more CPUs

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:34:09 -0500

List - We are trying to guess the benefit from doubling the CPUs on a server, from 2 to 4. Will this increase the performance or just result in an I/O bottleneck? This server supports a production application and the season of heavy usage is approaching. A development team is writing the replacement application, so we are just looking at something to increase the capacity for this season. In addition to Oracle, a piece of the application runs on the server.

    During the production season, the CPU remains pegged at 100 percent most of the 24-hour cycle. But if you look at the overall Oracle wait times, db file sequential read is about 80% of the wait. I have read Cary's book and suggested running a 10046 trace, but would like input on the best approach. Thanks.