RE: DB Links (VLDB)

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:16:33 -0400

Only a historical note, but this is one of a very few outstanding items from the Oracle VLDB group of the early 1990's that has not been definitively addressed. The hint was the interim solution and I don't think establishing a statistical metric framework for inter-database access ever has reached the action item level on anyone's priority list. I'm not sure it is even reasonably do-able short of a fully deployed grid with knowledge of the stats on all the databases involved in the query as well as the latency and available capacity of the network paths required. Even then the best statistical plan would be subject to actions external to the database engine that sucked up (or stopped using) network capacity. And what abstract costing should be put on network load? Should the cost be to minimize response time or network load, or something else?

(I'll gratefully be educated on this point if there is a statistic the optimizer could look at to sort out such plans.)

If Oracle wants to subsidize me writing a doctoral thesis on that I bet there's a college near here that'd sign up for it, then wheeeeee! off I go!

mwf