BIG database backup methods

From: Kline.Michael <Michael.Kline_at_SunTrust.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:11:35 -0400

We have the "luxury?" of being able to do shadow copies for many of our data warehouses. These are only in the 1-2 TB range, but with shadow copy, we start at perhaps 2AM with the syncing, and then around 4PM we stop the database, wait about 5 minutes, break the volumes and we're back up.

Management is getting very hungry looking at all these disks that are for backup and thinking "If we used RMAN and went to tape it would be better...

I'm not so sure. 1-2 TB in 5 minutes is pretty good.

What are others doing?

Michael Kline
Database Administration
SunTrust Technology Center
1030 Wilmer Avenue
Richmond, Virginia 23227
Outside 804.261.9446
STNet 643.9446

Cell 804.744.1545
 <mailto:michael.kline_at_suntrust.com> michael.kline_at_suntrust.com

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.