Re: OS Paging/performance question

From: Ed <esimmonds_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:43:18 -0500

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 11:11, Jared Still wrote:
> If you are using statspack, you may want to check there for PGA
> memory usage. The query below will show how much memory
> is being used at any one time.
>
> Also, what is the total memory utilization on the machine?

Total memory usage on the machine (Windows) is far below physical RAM (about 3/4 physical RAM being used). CPU usage is averaging perhaps 50-60%. The only processes taking up significant amounts of RAM are oracle.exe's, and even adding them with a calculator from the task manager shows they are far under the server capacity (about 1/2 physical RAM). These databases are stored physically on a SAN, one LUN of which has pretty high I/O numbers, but I fail to see how that could affect OS swapping when the OS swaps to a local drive.

Running your query results in PGA usage about 3/5 my PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET. I've done virus-scanning, adware checks, etc.

Any other advice?

Thanks much for answering.

Edward Simmonds