Re: HI

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:44:51 -0600

I thought Oracle (and db2 and mssql) are relational dbs (with some object features veneered on). The crux as I see it is that the SQL language is not built on as rigorous a foundation as the relational algebra and as such let quite a bit of ambiguity creep in.

Rethinking my statement above, you may be right that they all are not strictly relational DBs in that relational algebra does not have a concept of duplicates. Every tuple is uniquely identifiable.

Just out of curiosity I dug out the course material of a course on Database Design by "The Relational Institute". The material has "copyright 1987 Codd & Date consulting group" on every page. In the chapter on Query Optimization under the heading "convert into canonical form" it lists several transformation rules:

At 12:15 PM 9/20/2004, you wrote:
>You probably are correct Wolfgang, but I thought Oracle is NOT a
>relational db, but an
>SQL db, and if I understand Date correctly, then this qst has relevance.
>
>--
>Rob Zijlstra

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling