RE: Oracle Security Alert #68 - Security Vulnerabilities in Oracl e's Server Product - Win2000

From: Alex <stant_98_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:11:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Georgette,

What issues did you have with this patch. I've attempted installing it on my lab box and executed commands as specified in the readme file, but perl -opatch apply returned an error, that it couldn't move files from /patch_dir/bin to ora_home/bin. Can you give some guidance? Oracle 9.2 (patch4 rel.5) Windows2000

Thanks!
"Cornio, Georgette Ms USACFSC" <Georgette.Cornio_at_cfsc.army.mil> wrote:

Perl is only loaded if you do a Typical install, because it loads the Apache server, and Perl is a part of it.

Not being a UNIX/LINUX shop, and not wanting to install Apache on a DB server box,
and you cannot just install Perl from OUI, so our WIN boxes DO NOT have Perl.

So reading the instructions, it says to load Perl 5.6.1 for preference, so I load the Activestate 5.6.1, get OPATCH 1.0.0.0.50, and try to run OPATCH, without any luck after hours of playing with the syntax.

After finding all the FAQs and discussions on this Patch, I try to load an older Perl 5.00503, which would be the Perl loaded with Apache.

And finally OPATCH works, go figure.

So for WIN/Novell only shops, this is NO fun time.

We are looking to run SUSE LINUX for the DBs, since this is now covered by our Novell licenses.

But LINUX is NO fun for DOS/WIN/Novell users of many years.

Georgette

From: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com [mailto:Jared.Still_at_radisys.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 1:19 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

> Oracle wants you to run Perl scripts on the Win2k server.=20 Has any
> of you out there with Win2k server apply this patch?? If you have not,
> do you have Perl installed on your Win2k server.??

My job would be much more difficult *without* Perl on all our Win32 servers.

Jared