RE: dbms_pipe

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:49:37 -0700

I know I'm a couple of days late, but I'll add in my two cents anyway.

In Oracle 8.1, the parameter O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY was set to TRUE by default.
In Oracle 9.2, the parameter O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY is set to FALSE by default.

If the parameter is TRUE, then system privilege "execute any procedure", granted directly to the procedure owner, will allow you to execute sys.dbms_pipe from inside a stored procedure (which could have been your 8.1 situation).

If the parameter is FALSE, then system privilege "execute any procedure", granted directly to the procedure owner, is insufficient to allow you to execute sys.dbms_pipe from inside a stored procedure (which is probably your 9.2 situation). You will need to grant "execute on sys.dbms_pipe" as you found out.

In 9.2 there is a "select any dictionary" system privilege but there is no "execute any dictionary" system privilege.