Re: note 237007.1 and 9.2.0.4

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:13:23 -0400

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:26:50AM -0400, Mercadante, Thomas F wrote:
> Ray,
>
> You figured it out. All newer security patches cover prior patches. Opatch
> will deinstall the prior patches automatically.

Yes, thanks. It's just that there isn't a conflict if opatch is programmed to deal with the one-off situation, which it is, so why announce it at all. As is, opatch just says, "Danger, Will Robinson" when there isn't any.

When I asked this question Oracle said:

"We put in this warning as a standard practice with ALL interim (one-off) patches, not just Security patches, because the application of any patch can add risk to the processing environment."

I'm aware of that, but the answer is off topic from the question.

Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 KE4TJC 28^D