RE: Relating actual object size to Storage parameters

From: Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:22:16 +0100

Aha! Yes, that's nailed it! Many thanks, Steve.

If I do a "SELECT TABLESPACE_NAME, MIN_EXTLEN FROM DBA_TABLESPACES", I can see that MIN_EXTLEN for the tablespace concerned is 128K. So when I create the table and specify 400K for the initial extent size, Oracle rounds this up to the next higher multiple of 128K, namely 512K.

Paul

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Paul Vincent Sent: Thursday, 16 September 2004 9:23 PM To: Oracle-L_at_Freelists. Org (E-mail)

I'm afraid the mystery continues, then - all the db's tablespaces are dictionary-managed.

Any more ideas, anyone?

Paul

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com]=3D20 Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 9:58 AM To: thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us
Cc: Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk; Oracle-L_at_Freelists. Org (E-mail) Subject: Re: Relating actual object size to Storage parameters

Comments in line
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:57:31 -0400, Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> wrote:
> Paul,

>=3D20
> Check the storage params on the tablespace. Could be that the initial

> extent for the tbs is 512k. I think this would trump the table=3D20
> storage param.

If only that were the case!=3D20

object storage takes precedence over the tablespace clause (which if you think about it just defines a default value for new objects) for traditional
tablespaces.

There is a rather important change though for locally managed tablespaces
where the object clauses are [1] ignored. I'd hazard a guess then that Paul
has a locally managed tablespace with uniform extent management and a uniform size of 512k.

--=3D20
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

[1] Strictly they are not *ignored* at creation since the requested initial
size for the object *determines* how many extents are initially allocated.
The extents follow the tablespace policy though. So in Paul's case I would
expect a new object with initial and next of 800k to get two extents on creation each of 512k - requested more than 512k therefore need 2 extents.