RE: Solution to 100's of Oracle clients installed with Net8 and l ocal tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora

From: Stevens, Ed <ED.STEVENS_at_NMM.NISSAN-USA.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:01:55 -0500

This (a shared, central TNSNAMES) is exactly what we've done since 7.3. I've been told that Oracle doesn't support it, but we've never had a problem. YMMV.

On the client: tns_admin=\\myserver\share_name

where \\myserver\share_name contains tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora. Has worked quite well for us.

Thanks

Ed Stevens
IBM Global Services
- Nissan North America, Smyrna Manufacturing Plant

IBM E-mail: Ed_Stevens_at_us.ibm.com
Nissan E-mail: ed.stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com

voice:             615.355.2988
fax:                615.223.3510
pager:            615-252-0845