oracm dying, ocfs not mounting from multiple systems

From: John Clarke <jclarke_at_centroidsys.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:17:09 -0400

I'm trying to build a 9.2.0.4 RAC on OCFS filesystem, RHAS21, both hosts=
 running as VMWare 4.5 virtual machines on top of a Windows XP host, and=
 oracm dies on the 2nd node I start it on.  The cm.log file is quite inc=
onclusive, as it only gives me one thing that looks at all like an error=
:

InitClusterDB(): getservbyname on CMSrvr failed: -22

Lots of posts on Metalink that say things like "create your quorum file =
larger" and so forth, and none of these suggestions work. The last sugge=
stion I got was from Rich Jesse, which was to build my quorum file (and =
other) on raw devices instead of OCFS filesystem.  I really would like t=
o get OCFS working though and I've got a feeling my oracm problem is rel=
ated to an issue w/ OCFS but would like to confirm.

My question is this ...

If I format and mount an OCFS filesystem from 2 nodes and run /sbin/moun=
ted.ocfs against the device, should I see both nodes in the "nodes" line=
=3F  My guess is yes on this, but for some reason I only see the local n=
ode, regardless of where I run it from.  After mounting the ocfs filesys=
tem, I can create a quorum and srvm file from one node, but am not able =
to "see it" from the other node without unmounting and mounting.
The darndest thing about this whoe thing is that I had a 92R4 cluster wo=
rking fine in this OCFS configuration for about a year, until a month ag=
o when oracm started dying. I've since scratched and rebuilt both VMs, t=
o no avail.

Thoughts=3F