RE: Solution to 100's of Oracle clients installed with Net8 and l ocal tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora

From: Loughmiller, Greg <greg.loughmiller_at_cingular.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:29:46 -0500

Wouldn't OID assist here?
greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Welton [mailto:Chris_Welton_at_thruway.state.ny.us] Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 2:25 PM To: Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Solution to 100's of Oracle clients installed with Net8 and local tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora

Paula, Niall, Rich,

If you are using Windows based clients and Windows based network authentication you may want to consider using the Microsoft Distributed File System technology (DFS) in tandem with the Oracle TNS_ADMIN environment variable. With this method, the Oracle client networking files (tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora,..etc.) are stored on one file server ( the root of the Distributed File System ) and replicated automatically to other servers defined to the DFS. At network authentication, the customer receives the TNS_ADMIN environment variable with a UNC path to the DFS domain. DFS locates the nearest server for each customer and delivers the Oracle client files to him or her (upon request). If the assigned DFS server becomes inaccessible due to network, hardware, or other issues, the DFS will automatically roll the customer to the next available DFS server in the list. We are currently doing this with over 700 clients (Windows XP Professional) without an issue. When I make a change to tnsnames on DFS root, the change is reflected on every connected client within one minute with no file locking issues. prerequisites include Windows 2000 Server at a minimum (Windows 2003 Server is preferred) and a savvy Windows SA.

Here are several URL's from the Microsoft web site if you are still interested:

Simplifying Infrastructure Complexity with Windows Distributed File System
This document introduces you to the many improvements to Distributed File System (DFS) that help administrators manage their distributed resources in all the editions of Windows Server 2003. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/dfs.mspx Distributed File System: Simplifying Complexity In this demo, you'll learn about DFS, a strategic storage management solution that helps you manage distributed resources more easily. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/demos/dfs.html Distributed File System: Frequently Asked Questions This article contains frequently asked questions and answers about the Distributed File System (DFS) for the Windows Server 2003 family. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/dfsfaq.mspx

Distributed File System White paper
This white paper describes the Microsoft distributed file system technology, including the version for Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/fileandprint/dfsnew .asp

Distributed File System (DFS): Best Practices and Troubleshooting Guide
This guide is designed for administrators to supplement existing Distributed File System (DFS) documentation. It contains important information about DFS that has not been adequately addressed in other places.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/fileandprint/df sbp.asp

812487 - Overview of DFS in Windows 2000 This article describes the Microsoft Distributed File System (DFS) in Windows 2000 and provides information about how to administer DFS. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812487 Designing and Deploying File Servers
Visit Microsoft TechNet for detailed information on designing a DFS Namespace and FRS replication, which can be found in the Planning Server Deployments guide.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deploy guide/en-us/SDCCC_FSV_OVERVIEW.asp

Good Luck!

Chris Welton
Database Administrator
System Services Unit
Department of Information Technology
New York State Thruway Authority
200 Southern Blvd
Albany, NY 12209-2098
Phone: (518) 436-3105
Chris_Welton_at_thruway.state.ny.us

>>> "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com> 09/15/2004 12:11:00 PM

I'm fearing file locking issues with this approach. Multi-platform is =
another issue, although a SAMBA/NFS combo on the "central location" = should take care of that.

Or are my fears unfounded? We're in the same boat, wondering what to do =
about replacing the functionality of our replicated ONAMES servers for =
the future. OiD 9.0.1 was not mature/stable enough to be production. =
We haven't tested future versions and I don't plan to until the damnable =
thing is at least free (i.e. included with our EE license).

Rich