Re: rman centralized backup server

From: Peter Gram <peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:53:35 +0200

Hi David
There are always a trade-offs in life. I have worked with RMAN since 8.0.4 and
I think this is one of the greatest features Oracle have enhanced the database with.
In the battle regarding multible catalogs vs. one catalog for databases my experience
with customers is that one catalog per database is the best for the following reasons :

  1. Upgrade of the catalog does not influence other databases
  2. It is possible to backup (export) a single database
  3. You don't get performance problems since the catalog will not be gigantic
  4. It is easy to play with the catalog when doing advanced recovery tests.
  5. Selecting with Sql*plus (or other tools) are simpler
  6. Security administration is possible.
  7. Moving of a single database repository is easy
  8. Deleting databases from a repository is easy
  9. Patching of repositories takes less consideration
  10. The downside is more administration :-(

/peter

--

Best regards / Venlig hilsen

/*Peter Gram*/
Miracle A/S <http://www.miracleas.dk>
Kratvej 2
DK - 2760 Måløv

Cell:  (+45) 2527 7107
Phone: (+45) 4466 8855
Fax:   (+45) 4466 8856
Home:  (+45) 3874 5696
Skype:  peter_gram
Email: peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk

 17 Sep 2004  	 DECUS-fest i Pederstrup
 18-20 Oct 2004  	 RAC-kursus med Jonathan Lewis
 29 oct 2004  	 Special SQLserver day with Kimberly Tripp at DBF,Lalandia
 28-30 Oct 2004  	 The Last Database Forum at Lalandia
<http://miracleas.dk/events/DBF2004/invitation.html>
 22-24 Nov 2004  	 RMAN-kursus med Tuomas Pystynen
 17-19 Jan 2005  	 Miracle Master Class with Tim Gorman
 28 feb - 2.mar 2005  	 Database Master Class with Chris Date
 2-4 May 2005  	 SQL Server Master Class with Kimberly Tripp