RE: rman centralized backup server

From: Spears, Brian <BSpears_at_Limitedbrands.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:11:21 -0400

Hi Paula,

  We have a centralized Rman setup here. The system is HP and I have an Rman wrapper written in Kshell.
Luckily, I created it with almost no system dependancies so that when we wanted to add Rman backups to the windows servers it was very simple. I would guess that windows would be more difficult to add than Linux. The rule of thumb is have the Catalog datase at a higher level of OS than the databases you are backing up so I would say yes have 10G on Solaris. That's how I would go but then again I tend to error on the side of safety. I have found some strange things working with multiple versions of Oracle DB and Rman which have led me to this point. (Sometimes backups worked fine..recovery tanked..not fun). Unless Oracle Docs specifically stated it was ok, I would always have the Catalog the highest OS level.

Brian