RE: Parallel query on when it's not supposed to be (?)

From: Spears, Brian <BSpears_at_Limitedbrands.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:39:14 -0400

Just a confirmation of Mark's comment of starving cpu and resourses. We have a monster HP system with about 20 cpus and we had a large batch that was broken into 14 pieces and run concurrently to meet an SLA. One fellow turn on parallel query ...and well 14 heavy batches hitting the system all at once.. And then all these batches trying to use parallel query brought the batch speed to a crawl. Too many Parallel queries all competing against each other. I think it was a try it and see what happens... Several of us DBA's were confident it was going to be counter productive since they already had parallelized the single batch to 14 little simultaneous batches. It was a payroll run for 100,000 people.

Brian Spears