Re: Parallel query on when it's not supposed to be (?)

From: Janine A Sisk <janine_at_furfly.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:18:30 -0400

On Sep 14, 2004, at 10:03 PM, Mark Richard wrote:

> I can't help but wonder if waiting for a
> parallel query is still the quickest way to get things done? Would
> killing
> the parallel query effectively move the waits to another category
> without
> achieving any real gain?

Mark, what you say makes sense except that I've read that parallel query was very buggy in 8.1.7.4. My own experience bears this out. A previous version of this application on a different server, but with the same version of Oracle, had parallel_automatic_tuning turned on. Performance was awful. I found a reference somewhere, I can't recall where anymore, claiming that parallel processing on this version was likely to hurt performance so we turned it off and things improved dramatically.

I'm sure this is a per-application thing, but that has been my experience. it probably does not apply to more modern versions of Oracle.

janine