RE: Why there are lots of page-in and almost no page-out?

From: Gogala, Mladen <Mladen.Gogala_at_aetn.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:44:46 -0400

It's hard to tell without getting my hands on your system, but page in is mapping a new page in the address space of a process. In particular, if a process needs new stack pages, those will be allocated from the "free pages" (pages that have a valid backup on the disk), and handed to the process which requested free pages. That mapping will be recorded as a "page in". If you have sufficient free memory, so that paged daemon is not activated, you will not see any page-outs. There are two types of page ins, girly page-ins, when pages are reclaimed from memory and placed in the address space of a process, and manly page-ins, when page has to be brought in from the disk. In non-arnoldian terminology, it's soft page faults and hard page faults. Address space manipulations happen while CPU is in kernel mode. If your top monitor (free version of Glance Plus, much inferior to it) shows that you are spending more then 10% in kernel mode, you have a problem.

--
Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network