GMT VS LOCAL TIME PROBLEM

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:28:31 -0500

I'm trying to help one of our DBAs.

        He posed this timestamp problem and I'm not sure how to resolve it.

        "Our external gauges are writing their values into the database information, along with the time the reading was taken, the time is being written into the database as a character string and is written as a GMT date.

        Other systems reading this information need to convert the string to a date and to their local time zone thus need to be aware of the time-zone they're operating in and take into account whether DST was/is in operation at the time of the reading"

        We're collecting real-time machine statistics from many manufacturing plants across the country. Roughly 3K/hour from 20 plants or every time a gauge changes. It's a purchased app and we've been unsuccessful getting an application change. This data is forwarded to a SAP DB that wants the local time. He's thinking about writing a C program as a function to do the time conversion. The biggest problem is adjusting the time as it goes to DST and back.

        The sources are Oracle DBs on INTEL machines at each plant. These are fed data from the collecting application.

        Anyone doing this already?

	Thanks
	Larry

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank You.