RE: ass.awk

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:48:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Steve Adams wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> If you have a copy of ass.awk, please don't post a copy to the
> list unless the copyright notice allows such distribution.
>
> I believe that this is an Oracle "internal use only" utility.

There is no copyright notice in the copies of ass.awk that I now have thanks to the fine members of this list. I think everyone should have a copy, as it can do no harm.

For the many that mailed me privately to ask discreetly what ass.awk is: ass.awk is "Analyze System State," a systemstate trace file parser that helps you find resource holders and waiters with less effort than combing through the systemstate dump file.

Basically you dump systemstate when there is a resource pileup, then run the systemstate through ass.awk.

I'm working on my own version in Perl, tush.pl (Totally Useful Systemstate Helper) :-0

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton