Re: quick question.. Naming conventions of db sids...

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:12:35 +0200

Greg,
as for Data Guard I like to keep them identical on all servers. The idea behind that is that giving them any role-related name (SIDP/SIDS for primary/standby) will confuse you in an emergency, when you did the failover. Then you have to fight the problem, and shouldn't bother about 'wrong' names of having SIDS actually being the primary and vice versa. It also saves some work of renaming the DB after/during instantiation.

Having this convention, the next step is the connect-stringa aliasing. I always have the combination SID/SID1/SID2/..... on very machine in tnsnames. Then, SID points to the local instance on any machine, and all SIDn aliases point to the same server of the configuration. The SID idea won't work in an ONAMES/OID environment.

Regards, Carel-Jan

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 18:41, Loughmiller, Greg wrote:

> Hey guys,
>

> Could any of you share some of your conventions for stds related to database
> names/sids? I'm specifically looking for conventions related to people are
> naming a logical standby, physical standby, and db's that are part of a RAC
> cluster..
>

> We have some ideas in mind, but just looking ofr other examples, and ideas.
>

> Thanks in Advance!
>

> Greg Loughmiller

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===

DBA!ert, Independent Oracle consultancy Kastanjelaan 61C
2743 BX Waddinxveen
The Netherlands
tel. +31 (0) 182 64 04 28
fax +31 (0) 182 64 04 29