Question about Dual

From: Mark Moynahan <Mark.Moynahan_at_apollogrp.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0700

Is there any performance benefit selecting from dual in sqlplus as compared to selecting dual from a packaged procedure? The reason I ask is that we have a cluster of BEA app servers that are having memory issues. The only way to clear the memory is to call a very small query. Thus, we came up with select 'x' from dual;. We're leaning towards putting the select statement in a packaged procedure so we can pin it the shared pool. The app server would be calling this query many thousands of times each day.

Thanks,

Mark