RE: Initrans (don't forget deadlock avoidance)

From: <chris_at_thedunscombes.f2s.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:03:41 +0100

I've generally found that most "block level contention" e.g. buffer busy waits, data block waits, segment header waits etc. is influenced much more by freelists and freelist groups than it is by initrans.

A good paper on the subject is:

Freelist Management with Oracle 8i by Stephan Haisley

Also Tom Kyte's Expert One on One Chapter 6 Database Tables (Freelists)

Sorry but I only have a hardcopy of Stephan's paper and no URL

Cheers,

Chris

Quoting "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf_at_rsiz.com>:

> So in addition to avoiding ITL waits, I would also say to pre-emptively set
> INITRANS when you need to systematically guarantee no deadlocks.
>
> Of course this also implies that the architecture of your system includes a
> way to control the maximum number of updating threads against a given set of
> tables. If you don't have that, I don't believe you can guarantee no
> deadlocks in multi-table transactions.
>

> If someone knows another way to guarantee no "false deadlocks" due to
> insufficient ITLs, I'll gladly be educated.
>

> Regards,
>
> mwf

Chris Dunscombe

Christallize Ltd