Re: Initrans

From: Nuno Pinto do Souto <nsouto_at_bizmail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:03:35 +1000 (EST)

Quoting from AUTHOR Daniel W. Fink:

> ITE. Unless each transaction will be modifying rows in a single block,
> setting it to the average number of tx will waste space. Small rows in

Yes, very much so. The relevant factor is the rows per block. There cannot ever be more transactions modifying rows in a block than there are rows in the block to start with. Or else row locking is broken.

My yardstick is to average the number of rows per block on the object, then use any suitable number smaller than that. Contingent on the nature of the object: high update rate, set it to the average rpb. Low or no update, then set it as low as possible (1?) and be done with it. Update here means real UPDATE statements, not insert and delete.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto