Re: Initrans

From: Diego Cutrone <diegocutrone_at_yahoo.com.ar>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:31:06 -0700

You are correct Daniel, if I remember correctly, once an ITL slot has been added to the block, the space is never reclaimed. (it's never deallocated). That's also recorded in the 'itc' counter within the block, and can be used to find out if the maximun number of concurrent transactions within that block has exeeded inittrans setting.

In spite of an ITL slot only takes 24 bytes, I wouldn't change inittrans setting for the majority of your objects. Through the years, I've only had to change inittrans setting for a few objects (a table and some indexes). I'd suggest you to monitor the system in search of any "enqueue TX 4 wait". If you find any enqueue TX4 wait going on, this may suggest that may be you have an object without enough ITL slots. (TX-4 waits may be seen due to different reasons, one of them is due to ITL shortage, others are: multiple sessions trying to insert the same unique key row, the first one does not commit so the second one waits in enqueue tx4, bitmap indexes waits)

HTH
Best Regards
Diego.