RE: Raid5 Vs Raid0+1 -- Raw Vs Solaris 9 Concurrent Direct IO UFS

From: <J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:24:44 +0300

Hello Caty & List
> Second, because a RAID level 5 array has
> inherently greater load to manage than a RAID level 1
>array. If an application generates R 1-block reads/sec, and W 1-block
>writes/sec, then the two architectures would compare this way:
>
>- Level 1: would have to process (R + W) I/O requests per second
>- Level 5: would have to process (R + 4W) I/O requests per second

Can I kindly ask you to clarify few questions? 1. Is 4W figure (in formula above) constant in context of RAID 5 array and not depend on spindles count? I suspect that it can be constant in any RAID5 implementation. In case of 6 spindles block will be distributed as:

Disk1 => Block1
Disk2 => Block2
Disk3 => Block3
Disk4 => Checksum 123
Disk5 => Block4
Disk6 => Block5
Disk1 => Block6
Disk2 => Checksum 456

Disk….
Is my assumption correct?
.
2. If we need to change one of 3 data blocks belonging to one RAID5 set, then controller/array/we need to make one write to this particular block + read 2 remaining block for check sum calculation + write check sum to 4 block. Do I understand correctly? So for writing one block into RAID5 we need 2W+2R. Or I am wrong?
.
Thank in advance,
Jurijs
+371 9268222 (+2 GMT)