RE: segment fragmentation

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:06:59 -0400

David,

As Ryan mentioned, LMTs prevent fragmentation, if you have uniform = extents, or at least mitigate it, if you have autoallocate extents. = However, if you delete a significant amount of data from a table, then, = there could be some impact due to high-water mark. Consider, however, = when the high-water mark is referenced. For a table, only on full table = scan. For indexes on the table, only on an index fast full scan. So, = if your queries don't utilize those access paths, then you really don't = need to concern yourself w/ HWM.

You don't mention what version you're on. If HWM is an issue, you don't = need to resort to export/import, if you're at least at 9i. You can = ALTER TABLE table_name move; to reorganize the table data. Note that = when that's done, all indexes will be invalidated and will need to be = rebuilt. Consider the possibility of NOLOGGING, but make sure you fully = understand the recovery implications before proceeding there. Also, I'm = not really a 10g guy, yet, but in 10g, there's a 'shrink' clause to = ALTER TABLE that (from what I've read) does a nice job, maintains the = object on-line availability and maintains indexes at the same time. = But, I haven't used that....

Hope that helps,

-Mark