RE: RAC and non-RAC database on the same system?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:43:47 -0400

You mean really not using grid aware CRS with just one instance up for the
"single-instance" database?

Since the supported methodology requires a single oraInventory regardless of the number of Oracle "owners" and ORACLE_BASEs, you would have to figure out if you would get conflicting information in oraInventory if you attempted to install grid aware CRS and single node CRS homes on the same machine. I'm not actually sure you can't do it, (I'm talking 10g here, not sure what you're on) but the OUI will probably not give you a chance to install the
"other" CRS if it detects one already there. So unless you play unsupported
games with oraInventory, I'm not sure how you simultaneously get both types of CRS loaded up at the same time on the same node.

Is proof that it is not supported sufficient, or are you really trying to document a catch-22 that establishes it actually cannot function?

Possibly the "right" answer to management is that the single instance database should be "RAC" but just always run one instance. That is almost certainly less prone to failure (including future upgrade and patch complications and support conversations) than even trying to run a hybrid.

Good luck!

mwf