Antw: Re: Question re Linux + Oracle

From: Markus Reger <Reger_at_mdw.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:35:30 +0200

checkconfig stems from iris - a unix based os.

>>> Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> 07.09.2004 06:56:39 >>>
I believe so. In my orphaned Linux shelter, I have Gentoo, RH 9, ES 3.0 (WS), FC2 and Debian Woody. I used to have SuSE 8.0, but I didn't like SuSE because I could not install ossound, the commercial version, so I've dropped it. The problem was in the proprietary version string that SuSE kernels returned. When I asked for help, they told me that relinking kernels is for gurus only and to steer clear of it. Strangely enough, the support person did not know what does the phrase "flip the bird" mean. To his credit, he did understand some of the other select phrases of the English language. Also, my German is rather fluent, so I made sure that I did get my point across. I did steer clear of SuSE Linux ever since.
All RH versions have chkconfig, while Gentoo and Woody don't have it.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note: this is _not_ the real body!