RE: Should you still tune queries by LIOs?

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:44:49 -0500

BUT...

  1. A lot more than just CPU gets consumed in proportion to your LIO = count. Latch acquisitions occur in rough proportion to LIO count. Latch acquisitions are serial.
  2. It's not just a matter of whether a program has an important business function. If a program does 20,000 LIOs when it could have done the job = with 20, it can cause exponential response time degradation for everyone if hundreds of users run that program simultaneously.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 Charlotte, 10/26
Toronto
- SQL Optimization 101: 9/20 Hartford, 10/18 New Orleans