Re: Partitioning

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:24:58 -0400

As Syed said, performance is not the question if you have striped all your disks; but that may not be the case.You may have the RAID sets of a small number of disks and it makes sense to create a tablespace in each RAID set and then place a partition in each.

There is, however, a more compelling reason for placing partitons in their individual tablespaces. It's for backup and recovery reasons.

(1) A block corruption or a loss of datafile will make the respective tablespace offline, and consequently the contained partition, not all partitions.
(2) A recovery will be on the specific partition. (3) In the future a partition may be in steady state (more common in date based partitions) and you may want to make the tablespace read only, take only one backup and remove the tablespace from the regular backups. Placing all partitions in a single tablespace does not allow that.

Hope this helps.

Arup Nanda