RE: OT : compress & write to tape - how to ?

From: Gogala, Mladen <Mladen.Gogala_at_aetn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:48:35 -0400

Newer versions of tar (GNU) have "z" argument, so it would work like this: tar zcvf /dev/rmt0 /my/directory If your tar doesn't support "z" flag, you can do it like this:
tar cvf - /my/directory |compress|dd of=/dev/rmt0

You can also do it with cpio. If your cpio supports "-C" buffering, you can play around with dd and speed things up significantly.

--
Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network