RE: Count(*) not doing a FTS??

From: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:59:40 +0200

I think the instructor (in case he/she wasn't joking in the first place) mixed things up a little here.
I am guessing, but I assume he/she was referring to the fact that the CBO may use segment header info to estimate the costs of a full table scan in the absence of table statistics.

well, there is some distinct relationship between the two queries "select count(*) from T" and "how expensive you think a FTS of table T will be" ...

Kind regards,
Lex.

visit http://www.naturaljoin.nl

skype me <callto://lexdehaan>