Re: Count(*) not doing a FTS??

From: Steve Rospo <srospo_at_watchmark.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:16:43 -0700 (PDT)

Did your instructor say this with a straight face? There's no such voodoo as a rowcount in a segment header. The two ways you can do it are a FTS or fast full scan of a not null index. There are other more exotic ways (materialized view) but nothing involving the segment header, that I know of. In this case providing a counter-example is actually easier, have the instructor provide an execution plan where that shows something other than a FTS or index FFS.

S-

To read recent messages - http://freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/09-2004