RE: is IPC really faster than TCPIP?

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:37:28 -0500

In the note I sent a few hours ago, I mentioned a 50x number. This is = what
we saw one place. Your mileage may vary, but it's easy to test. You can = test
your raw IPC vs TCP/IP performance by writing a small test in sqlplus = that
makes a million database calls. Time a run of it connected through an = alias
where PROTOCOL=3DIPC. Time another run of it connected through an alias = where
PROTOCOL=3DTCP. Compare and contrast the results.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 Charlotte, 10/26 Toronto

- SQL Optimization 101: 9/20 Hartford, 10/18 New Orleans
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...