RE: security alert - management up in arms

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:27:56 -0400

Guys,

I had 3 managers ask me about this today. I am planning to put in dev = then prod but they want me to open emergency tickets and start doing = now!!!! All of our oracle databases are internal (inside of a = firewall). =20

My concern is having recently been burnt on 9.2.0.5 Solaris 64-bit - = that this not be another exercise in Oracle regression testing.

I know that a security patch is much more focused and likely doesn't = have the same changes/impact as a patchset. However, what does everyone = do in terms of due diligence to ensure these security patches are not = going to "break" Oracle functionality. It seems like it should be = reasonable to put in dev/test - run for a little while then promote. = However, with 9.2.0.5 we didn't come up with problems until we used = export/import and sql*loader.

Any thoughts on this?

"This e-mail is a critical technical alert which is being sent as a = service to all MetaLink users!

The following Security Alert has been published on MetaLink by the = Oracle Security Compliance team:

August 31, 2004
Severity: 1=20

Alert #68: Oracle Security Update"

---
To unsubscribe - mailto:oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org&subject=unsubscribe
To read recent messages - http://freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/09-2004