Re: Oracle Security Alert #68 - Security Vulnerabilities in Oracle'sServer Products

From: Barbara Baker <barbarabbaker_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:27:57 -0700 (PDT)

I like this one. For Solaris 32-bit, there are 2 patches to be applied (3811887 and 3835963). Note says:

# - Your system configuration (Oracle Server version and patch
# level, OS Version) must exactly match those in the bug
# database entry - You must have NO OTHER PATCHES installed on
# your Oracle Server since the latest patch set (or base release
# x.y.z if you have no patch sets installed).

So as soon as you apply the 3835963 patch, you've violated the condition of applying your patch.

I think it's a catch-22

Barb

> Dwayne,
> Read the README file that is associated with the
> patch. There are a
> lot of conditions that you must meet before
> installing the patch.
> I like the first requirement the best.
>
> - You must have located this patch via a Bug
> Database entry
> and have the exact symptoms described in the bug
> entry.
>
> I located the patch from the email they sent me. Do
> I fail the first
> requirement???
> Do I have to file a bug report to locate the correct
> patch??
> Do they really think that people would arbitrarily
> search for different
> patches based
> on a random number generator just so they could
> gain the experience of
> installing patches?
> Or practice their backup and restore procedures?

---
To unsubscribe - mailto:oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org&subject=unsubscribe
To read recent messages - http://freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/09-2004