Re: Standy database / RMAN

From: Manjula Krishnan <>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 07:33:43 -0700 (PDT)

Our users run huge reports all day. I plan to offload the reports to the standy and that is why logical standby. Also, the drives are fully striped and mirrored, so we should have good protection. We will be using Tivoli for backup. Once TDP for Oracle is setup I will just have to modify the scripts to use dsmc instead. I will know more once I finish reading the Tivoli docs.

What happens if I have to apply patches? I just shutdown both the primary and the standby, apply patches and bring them up again?

Thanks for the link... I will read that too.

GovindanK <> wrote:

Setting up RMAN is not that difficult ; You need to setup Media Manager for Oracle. RMAN is quite robust for backup. Some DBAs are of the openion that they will use RMAN for Restoring and use svrmgrl / sysdba for recovery related stuff. Depends on various factors. Are you sure you want Logical Standby and not Physical. Anyway it is better to have a Standby setup just in case ...;
Backup Recovery 101 is good for RMAN though there is one by Robert Freeman.
For Standby i suggest you read books/manuals and test it out.

In both the above cases, there is no substitute for trying out all possibel combinations you can think of prior to implementing.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:37:56 -0700 (PDT), "Manjula Krishnan" said:
> Hi:
> I want to implement both 9i Data Guard and RMAN on one of our servers
> (AIX 5.2, Oracle 64 bit). This server is in the process of being
> tested. It will go into production sometime in October. Hot backups are
> currently being performed nightly (just with scripts no RMAN).
> 1. I want to setup RMAN. How easy or difficult is it to switch from these
> scripts to using RMAN?
> 2. I also want to implement logical standby for max availability.
> -- When the data is refreshed for going live, will it affect
> the logical standy in any way. I think I will have to recreate
> it.
> -- What about RMAN? How will the backups using either RMAN or
> the scripts affect the standby?
> I am reading the Oracle DataGuard (rel 9.2) on technet and other related
> metalink documents.
> What else do I need to be aware of? Please point me to anything else you
> think I should read before getting started.
> Thanks,
> Manjula

To unsubscribe -
To read recent messages -