Re: ANTs Data Server?

From: Daniel W. Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 06:33:37 -0600

I have worked with web applications that would load up a local data cache with 'static' information so that they did not have to access the database to retrieve this type of data. Why should the app have to perform the same query to return the same data, incurring network overhead, database activity, etc. when it was totally redundant? In one case, some of the data would only be changed during an application release. Using my favorite example, every time a user is asked for their state/province for an address, do you need to query the database to build a list or validate their entry? By caching this static data locally, you eliminate the need to access the database (via who knows how many layers of network) every time. If you process 100,000 user address requests a day and only reload the data once every 24 hours, you have reduced your app->database traffic by 99,999 queries each day. Of course, this does not mean that the response time will be better. Depending on the size of the data and how efficient a local search is, it might be faster to access the database each time.

This is not the same as keeping all the data in the memory on the database server.

Regards,
Daniel

ryan gaffuri wrote:

>has anyone worked with middle tier caching of read only data? About six
>months I went to a presentation by a non-database performance analyst(he
>analyzed the applications) and he was adament about caching data in the
>middle to relieve unnecessary hits on the database.
>
>has anyone exploited this?

---
To unsubscribe - mailto:oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org&subject=unsubscribe
To read recent messages - http://freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/09-2004