Re: package compilation hangs - cc me directly , 24x7 soln

From: GovindanK <gkatteri_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:45:09 -0700

Jay
I am sorry that i did not see the post during the last 22 hrs; Pl.CC me when you REPLY to oracle-l. The suggestion given by Mark sounds closest. In our world of PL/SQL compilation with JDBC the following is the method we adopt: The PL/SQL programmer will give Ctrl-C (the job may or may not abort) first
The Java Programmer will stop his tomcat server / Jdbc there by inactivating the Jdbc session
The PL/SQL session will exit now , just reconnect

Carry out the compilation now.
As i undertsand from 9i Manual you may try out ALTER SYSTEM QUIESCE to carry out compilation

http://www.[1]download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server. 920/a96540/statements_23a.htm#2053604
<quote>
With this feature the database administrator can put the system into a quiesced state. During this non-DBA transactions, queries, or PL/SQL statements
are blocked from starting. Manual seems to indicate that RESOURCE MANAGER might be setup.
Verify with Manual + Metalink prior to implementing it in. </quote>
HTH
GovindanK
OCP 8,8i,Brainbench Certified Master DBA ... and still exploring Oracle
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:09:55 -0400, [2]jaysingh1_at_optonline.net said:
> Govindan,
>
> Thanks for ur response.
>
> We do user JDBC OCI driver (froma ppserver ) to access this
PL/SQL
> package.
> As you mentioned that Java application might have accessed
this package
> while compiling this package.
>
> This particular session (SID=667) is active(checked
gv$session).

[4]jaysingh1_at_optonline.net said:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > The package BODY status became invalid because of the
object
> > > modification(another package) refered in the package body.
> > >
> > > Now we are trying to compile the package and it hangs.
> > >
> > > Checked DBA_DDL_LOCKS
> > > select owner,session_id,mode_held from dba_ddl_locks where
> > > name='SEARCH_PKG';
> > >
> > > OWNER,SESSION_ID,MODE_HELD
> > > ----- ---------- ----------
> > > REPORTS,667,Share
> > > PUBLIC,667,Share
> > > ATG56,667,Share
> > > REPORTS,667,None
> > > REPORTS,968,Exclusive
> > >

> > > If I kill session_id 968, something else appears here. I
did this
> > > exercise 4 times.
> > > What could be wrong here.
> > >

> > > select * from gv$access where object='SEARCH_PKG' is
returning