RE: Recover a table from cold backup-noarchivelog

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:24:55 -0400

Neat!
Ruth

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Daniel Fink Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 11:01 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Recover a table from cold backup-noarchivelog

Ruth,

Way back when I was a newbie and we had this Oracle consultant on site (Some people call him ... Tim), we had a developer (very sharp and normally very careful) drop a table in production. As we were trying to figure out how to recover it with a minimum of downtime (well, Tim and another consultant were trying to figure it out, I was standing by with a very perplexed and anxious look), I asked the type of question that only a newbie asks, the type that run counter to common sense and normal practice, you know, the moron type. It was something to the effect of "Can we open the online backup as a separate database, recover it to the time the table was dropped and then export the data from the table?" Lacking other options (I think it was a 7.1 db), we decided to give it a shot. No docs, no notes, just hack away and see what we can accomplish. It took a couple of tries to get the right tablespaces recovered (we tried to minimize the recovery needs), but it worked. I think we were able to accomplish this from panic to beers in about 4 hours. The production database was in full use (except for one app) the whole time.

Tim poked around the Oracle notes/papers and found several papers that addressed each part of what we accomplished, but nothing that described it in its entirety. IIRC, this was my *first* ever recovery and the first time Tim had done this type of object-level recovery from an online backup.

Dan