RE: Outer Joins are Evil?

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:23:20 -0500

I don't think the SQL developer gets a choice. It's like telling a C programmer to avoid multiplication and division because they're slower = than
addition and subtraction! Once the data design is set, if the developer = has
to use outer joins to get the correct answer, then it's a choice of = either
(a)=A0use outer joins, or (b)=A0get the wrong answer.

>From the data /designer's/ perspective, I think I agree with the points you're listing below. It's probably a Very Good Idea to create data = designs
that allow your business functions to take place without outer joins.

I'll defer to Lex and others for a more definitive response.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 Charlotte, 10/26 Toronto
- SQL Optimization 101: 8/16 Minneapolis, 9/20 Hartford, 10/18 New = Orleans
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas - Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...