Re: Recover a table from cold backup-noarchivelog

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:16:06 -0600

Srinivas,

The 'official' answer is that you are not able to recover just that table as of the cold backup. You must restore the whole database to that point in time. If you are not running in archivelog mode and protecting your archive logs, you cannot recover a database, only restore it.

There is another method to restore just the table. Restore the backup as a different database (different server is even better to reduce risks), export the table, then import it into the test database. *However*, if you have referential integrity constraints, relationships not enforced in the database, etc. the restored table may be very inconsistent with the rest of the database.

This is also a great opportunity to address security issues. Most of the restores/recoveries I have had to perform were related to security issues (dropping tables, deleting rows, thinking you are in development when you are in production) and not hardware/software issues.

Regards,
Daniel Fink